GREAT DAY! Larisa did fabulous. She went in for surgery around 10am this morning and came out about 4pm this afternoon. It was a long afternoon but Doctors were very happy with the outcome and indicated that Larisa was strong during the procedures.
Today they focused on her femur and hip. They removed all the packing out of her leg and put in a titanium rod. The doctors indicated that the femur bone was crushed in middle, but would heal on its own over time. They also removed the traction for her leg and closed up the wound, so that it can now begin to heal.
They also put 3 screws in her hip and will address the pelvis later when the swelling decreases.
Tomorrow she will rest, and they plan to do surgery on her knee and elbow on other Tuesday or Wednesday.
Today one of the bright spots for Chantel and Sergio was when a few of Larisa's friends came to visit. They loved sitting and listening to the memories that each of these friends shared about time spent with Larisa. Chantel commented that "It would tickle her (Larisa) to death to see what people remember about her." She thought if anyone would like to send emails to the gmail account and share some of those memories, that would be great.
One of the highlights of the day, that brought much needed laughter was a visit from Cody and Caleb - 2 good friends of Larisa's who Chantel could tell just adored Larisa. They had arrived at the hospital not during visiting hours and some how got in. Chantel asked them how they were able to get in? Caleb replied, "I just told them I was her fiance!" Well, that was the begining of all kinds of good laughs and even the thought of purchasing a RING POP to make it official.
In a recent talk given by our Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, he quoted James Barrie, a Scottish poet saying "God gave us memories so that we may have June roses in the December of our lives." And I think today they felt the reality of this quote as they sat and shared great memories that over time have created great bonds of friendship.
Chantel reminds us how very important it is to never take for granted what we have been given. Particularly, our children and our families. We all need to take more time to hug one another and express our love for each other daily. You just never know when things could change.
Tonight Chantel and Sergio went and enjoyed dinner with Kerlina and then headed back to Martinsburg with Astrid (Larisa's Aunt) to spend time with the other kids at home.
Chantel and Sergio would like to express their sincere thanks for fasting and praying for Larisa. They have truly felt the blessings that have come from those prayers.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well and Larisa was strong. She is in our thoughts and prayers always.
ReplyDeleteI think that this experience has caused us all to reflect on our lives. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves us and is aware of our needs. I'm thrilled to know of Larisa's progress in her surgery yesterday, and that her "fiance" was able to visit. I'm sure all the visits and outpouring of love and concern has been a touching comfort for Cahntel and Sergio and the rest of the family.
ReplyDeleteThis is great news!! Please let us know when they will allow visitors so Mel and I can come up to visit. Lots of love!!
ReplyDeleteI just heard about the accident. Thank you for allowing us to know about the daily progress that Larisa is making. I love you all so very much- I hope you know that!!!! Becky Taylor
ReplyDelete